Sunday, May 17, 2009

Preparing to leave

My three children (ages 8, 6, 3) and I are taking a trip to my sister's (Jessica). This trip has taken a year to plan, prepare and pay for. My sister and her husband (Terry) live in South Korea which is many miles away from Oklahoma. The packing is the hardest. My sister has sent me a list of items she or her friends would like me to bring. This includes over 90 pounds of easy reader books for my sister's English academy. I've already packed one box of gluten free groceries plus cornmeal, flour, spices, and gatorade. Suitcase #1 is packed full of books and barely weighs under 50 pounds. Suitcase #2 also full of books but I haven't weighed it yet. Suitcase #3 has 2 muffin tins + liners, gluten free snacks and cereal, flip flops, educational materials and all that other stuff we can't live without. AND I am not done packing! I took our clothes out of a suitcase in order to put other items in it. I dug out my biggest bag and a client gave me a bag with wheels, so I'm hoping these will be enough to hold the clothing and the last few items. I didn't even pack very many clothes- honestly. I did put all the games in the carry on bag so the kids have plenty to do. I also threw in the ear protectors for my oldest so she doesn't freak out over the plane engine (she has extremely sensitive hearing).

My children are excited they finally get to see their Aunt Jessica and Uncle Terry's house. They also want to see the ocean and dig for clams, snails and anything else they can catch. I think they will enjoy eating new foods BUT wiggly squiggly octopus isn't their idea of yummy. My oldest daughter is convinced Koreans eat chow mein kitty which everyone laughs over when she tells them about it. My brother in-law also found a Tae Kwan Doe school for my children to attend. It's only a few minutes from their English academy. My children have been planning to take Tae Kwan Doe classes since last summer when Jessica came to visit.

The count down has begun for our departure. The panic is also setting in. My husband's hair is falling out in patches because he is stressed out about us going. He is staying home since he has to work. I keep reassuring him everything will be okay. I am used to taking our children where ever I go so, this trip will not drive me crazy. PLUS, there's passenger assistance which I plan on taking full advantage of. Those people are there for a reason and I've got 3 reasons to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment