Thursday, May 28, 2009

Arrival

Our flight was LONG! We had to get up at 2am in order to get to the airport to check in and catch our 7:15 am flight. My mom and my husband held back their tears until we made it past the security check point. I managed to keep my children together by tying a shoe lace to each of their wrists which was attached to my belt loop. We got several looks and a lot of snickers BUT at least my kids were with me. All of them did just fine in the airports as well as on the planes. They had a lot of fun looking out the windows.

We took 3 airplanes:
OKC to Dallas Ft. Worth: 35 minutes
Dallas Ft. Worth to Japan (Boeing 777): 13 hours
Japan to Incheon Korea: 2 hours

Total trip with lay overs: 23 hours 35 minutes

By the time I was able to call home, it was 8 am in Oklahoma. My husband had not heard from me in over 24 hours and was worried sick.

The kids found it amazing that we were above the clouds in the airplane. Lillian kept asking how come she couldn't feel the plane going fast. And they wanted to know where their special beds were. We took pictures over Alaska and the Bearing straight. We could see ships and snow capped mountains. Mikey kept giving people updates about what he saw out the windows. He would tell the closest person we were still over water or he only saw clouds. It was really cute.

I knew the bathroom would be a problem for Muriel. She started to feel ill because she refused to use it. I finally had to MAKE her go into the bathroom and not leave until she went. I promised to flush the toilet once she was safely out the door. Mikey on the other hand, thought the sink was the coolest thing ever and had to pee every 20 minutes just so he could play in the sink! Lillian could get into the bathroom but then she couldn't get out. So, she would go into a panic attack. I had to get a steward to let her out on one occasion because I had food on my tray and dealing with Mikey. THEN Lillian shut Mikey's leg in the bathroom door and once again I couldn't get up so a stewardess had to rush to get Mikey out because Lillian kept pushing the door closed.

On our last flight, we encountered a lot of turbulance. All three kids yelled "what was that?" while holding onto their drinks and food trays. They could barely eat and drink without loosing it. Mikey decided to lick the red pepper paste that came with his food even though I kept telling him it was hot. I think he was so jet lagged at that point he couldn't taste much. Muriel was looking at me really confused during this and kept saying she couldn't hear me. Of course she couldn't hear me. She had head phones on! The lady behind her kept laughing at the kids. I guess it was cheap entertainment for the people around us. Lillian started talking with the young man behind me and wore his sunglasses and just chatted away. Mikey also fell asleep with his legs hanging off the seat during the approach to Incheon Korea. The stewardess had already sat him up once then had to sit him up and secure him in his seat quickly before we landed.

Lillian ran to Jessica and hugged her when she found her. Mikey and Muriel hid behind me smiling shyly. Jessica took one cart of luggage and I took the other because one of the airport employees took pity on me and pushed the cart out to Jessica. I was very thankful too. We even got everything into the car. I had 4 suitcases, 4 boxes, 1 carry on (a bag on wheels) and my giant purse.

One the way "home" all three kids looked out the windows of the car. They said they liked the brights lights of the signs but the beach was really dirty. They are having a lot of fun just looking around them. Everything is different and new.

We went to Inha University today and waited for Terry to bring the car to get us while Jessica headed off to work. While we wandered around the pond, a group of ladies saw Mikey and started "making" over him. All I heard was this oh sound and a bunch of chattering. Then Mikey started running all over to get away from them. They grabbed him and kissed him then tossled his hair. Mikey of course giggled and ran behind me. Lillian and Muriel got to shake their hands while they looked them over as well. It was interesting that I could understand they were asking if all 3 were my children. AND there was one professor that took one look at Mikey and said he could see Jessica in him.

Terry took us to the Tae Kwan Doe school today as well. Lillian and Mikey had lots of fun playing while Muriel stood against the wall sulking. She even started crying. The instructors wife hugged her and talked to her. Muriel has said she doesn't want to take lessons. That's what she said about swimming lessons THEN she decided to she wanted to take the class after it was too late to get in. So, this time we signed her up whether she liked it or not. I told her to go have fun. This was a great opportunity and she would get to go back home and tell her friends she got to take Tae Kwan Doe lessons from a Korean. I'm sure she will liven up after a lesson or two. She's just not too sure of her surroundings yet.

We are at Jessica and Terry's school now. The girls are playing "guess who" while Mikey makes Mr. Potato head look like he's mutated. They have all sorts of games and books to read. The youngest of the students will be arriving soon. We will be going back "home" later. I'll be cooking dinner since Jessica won't get home until after 8pm. I'll post again when I have a chance.

1 comment: